[Kde-nonlinux] (no subject)

David Still dweeb at stillhq.com
Tue Jan 6 01:42:17 CET 2004

Hi,

I'm attempting to run KDE 3.1.4, which would be running under Darwin
7.0.0. I'm not normally particularly command-line literate, but I
managed to download and use Konstruct to install the kdebase set of
packages.

Now, somewhere on the KDE.org site I read that to start KDE I type
startx... so I did, only to receive the following output:

This is a pre-release version of XFree86, and is not supported in any
way.  Bugs may be reported to XFree86 at XFree86.Org and patches submitted
to fixes at XFree86.Org.  Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions,
please check the latest version in the XFree86 CVS repository
(http://www.XFree86.Org/cvs)

XFree86 Version 4.2.1.1 / X Window System
Release Date: 18 October 2002
         If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your hardware is
         newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
         reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: Darwin

Fatal server error:
Could not find keymapping file USA.keymapping.

    OsVendorFatalError
    AbortDDX
Quitting XDarwin...
giving up.
xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X
server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

I'm not sure if I've come to the right place to get help with this, but
as far as I can tell, my version of XFree86 is missing that one
keymapping file. How do I then fix this?

Cheers,
David Still

***

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's
warm for the rest of his life.