[Kde-nonlinux] HP-UX system

Marcus Camen kde-nonlinux@kde.org
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 21:35:39 +0200

> > > I am having HP-UX 11i system running.
> > > I am presently using CDE provided as default with the OS.
> > > Can i have KDE on HP-UX 11i ......?
> >
> > We are currently working on getting KDE 3.1.x running on HP-UX 11.00. So
> > far arts, kdelibs and kdebase are working. In the last weeks I committed
> > quite a few compile fixes to CVS HEAD and to KDE_3_1_BRANCH /
> > ARTS_1_1_BRANCH. If you want to try to compile KDE yourself I suggest to
> > use the CVS code from these stable branches.
>
> Is it sufficient to check out KDE_3_1_BRANCH only?

Yep. ARTS_1_1_BRACH for arts and KDE_3_1_BRANCH for the rest of KDE. But this
will still not compile on HPUX. You need to integrate some more patches by
hand.

> > I still have a few more (note yet polished) patches on my disk waiting to
> > be committed. If you like I can send them to you via private email. BTW:
> > You cannot use GCC as the GNU compiler has major problems with threading
> > on HP-UX. We use HPs aCC.
>
> What modules are these patches for?

kde-common (the libtool stuff in the admin dir), arts, kdelibs, kdebase
So far, we didn't try to build anything else.

> Are your patches to workaround bugs in aCC's C++ compliance or C++
> compliance bugs in the KDE code?
Hehe. Both  ;-)
Especially kdeprint/* triggers quite a number of ugly-but-easy-to-workaround
aCC bugs.

> And what are the threading issues with GCC?
See: http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#hppa*-hp-hpux11
"Thread support is not currently implemented"

If you try to compile QT you will get something like (QT with -thread is not
supported on HPUX / GCC).

> We were going to try
> building KDE on 11.x with the 3.3 prerelease.
Ah. Interesting. Please let me know of your progress. I assume you will have
less compile problems than with aCC (if threading works...).

--
Marcus