[Kde-nonlinux] More HPUX compile problems

Michael Matz kde-nonlinux@kde.org
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 10:57:23 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, Ravikiran Rajagopal wrote:

> Hello,
>   I decided to get rid of aRts as Harri porten suggested. I discovered that
> one needs to define _INCLUDE_HPUX_SOURCE in order to get dcopserver.cpp
> compiled. The next point of failure was in kapplication.cpp. How do I get
> around this?

Wow.  HP managed to break aCC even more.  It once was known as a very
strict and good C++ compiler, but it seems now it got broken:

> Error 312: "./kstandarddirs.h", line 567 # Local variable instance may not be
> used in default argument expression.
>     har *type, const QString& filename, const KInstance* instance =
> KGlobal::instance() );
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is a call to a static member function (KGlobal::instance() to name
it), but aCC is misguided in thinking it want's to access a local variable
"instance" of an unknown class (if you trust the error message), and then

> Error 283: "./kstandarddirs.h", line 567 # Illegal operand type in call
> expression.
>     har *type, const QString& filename, const KInstance* instance =
> KGlobal::instance() );

... surprisingly is confused, why it doesn't find that local variable.  Of
course no surprise to us, because it indeed doesn't exist.  I would say,
either upgrade/downgrade that compiler until you reach a state where it
works (I know, it once worked, because I compiled kdelibs with aCC a year
ago).  Also make that bug known to the compiler people at HP.

Ciao,
Michael.