[Kde-nonlinux] KDE-3.0 FreeBSD port first look

Lauri Watts kde-nonlinux@kde.org
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 15:16:27 +0200

On Friday 12 April 2002 06.51, Jim Durham wrote:
> I downloaded and installed the KDE-3.0 packages from
> freebsd.kde.org and it seems to work well so far.
>
> Javascript support in Konqueror is much better. We have a layered
> javascript thingamabob on our company web page that never worked
> at all with 2.0 and it now works.
>
> However, I'm not able to get Konqueror to display java at all.
> I have jdk1.3.1 installed and the path set to the java executable.
> Yes, java is enabled globally 8-)  !
>
> I also saw some info about linking the libjavaplugin.so library
> to the netscape plugins directory. However, the FreeBSD version
> of jdk1.3.1 doesn't seem to have this plugin lib.  ???
>
> Does anyone have java rendering on Konqueror 3.0 ?

Yes, sort of.

Some java applets run perfectly well, including several I've found lying=20
around Sun's site.  Java applications appear to be working quite happily.=
 =20
Others, I just get a grey "loading applet" box where it ought to be shiny=
=20
happy moving text or something, and nothing much happens.  Sometimes hitt=
ing=20
reload lots of times makes it work again.=20

I don't *think* this is a FreeBSD problem, at least, it's been reported o=
n=20
other OS's too.

Cheers,

--=20