migration to NM 0.9 and ask for help

Andrey Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 12:42:44 CET 2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 4:10 AM, Lamarque Vieira Souza
<lamarque at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > 3. In the future move Solid::Control::Network* namespace from Solid to
>
>> > nm08 branch and use libnm-qt only for the master branch (today nm09
>
>> > branch). This should be done by the KDE SC 4.7 release date.
>

>> > That would allows us to concentrate efforts in NM-0.9 and let the code
>
>> > for NM-0.8 in maintanance mode (no new features, only bug fixing).
>
>> > System connections would be out of nm08 branch, less code /changes less
>
>> > bug fixing.
>

>> Well ... I have half finished work on top of Gokcen branch that
>
>> re-enabled user connections again :) Right now I get them in
>
>> activateables list and can use to connect (including providing local
>
>> secrets). Editing should follow. Effectively it backs out some of
>
>> Gokcen changes and leaves current information exchange between kded
>
>> module and applet via on-disk file. This was the minimal change I
>
>> could find.
>
> We should use DBus to do data exchange between kded and the plasmoid. The
> plasmoid already does that, the kded module has a DBus interface.

Yes, it should have been implemented this way. For now it does not do
it. I am not sure if putting efforts in redesigning it is worthwhile
as we speak about effectively dead end. Plasmoid for NM 0.9 won't need
to speak with kded at all - it will get all information from NM.

My immediate plans for now are

- add openconnect plugin
- factor out secrets persistence so it can be re-used in future secrets agent

> The
> problem is the other way around, the plasmoid does not have a DBus
> interface, but one should not be necessary as far as I know.
>
>> I can't comment on NM 0.9 because distro I am using won't have it in
>
>> near future so I am stuck with NM 0.8 anyway. For this reasons I
>
>> really would like to bring user+system settings support there ...
>
> I proposed to create a branch for NM-0.8 without system connections support
> because Plasma NM is in short of work force. If you take the responsability
> to maintain that part of the code then it should be no problem.

I do have plans to maintain this, yes. I do want to bring this feature
in our next distro, so hopefully I will have feedback.