migration to NM 0.9 and ask for help

Lamarque Vieira Souza lamarque at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 02:10:15 CET 2011

Em Tuesday 22 March 2011, Andrey Borzenkov escreveu:
> 2011/3/22 Lamarque Vieira Souza <lamarque at gmail.com>:
> > 2. Change the version number in the nm08 branch to me 0.8 instead of 0.9.
> > That would make it easier for distribution packagers /users know which
> > one works with each NM version.
>
> This could be a problem for packagers too. Currently e.g. we package
> version 0.9 ...

	Ok, so let's bump the version to 0.91 instead.

> > 3. In the future move Solid::Control::Network* namespace from Solid to
> > nm08 branch and use libnm-qt only for the master branch (today nm09
> > branch). This should be done by the KDE SC 4.7 release date.
> >
> > That would allows us to concentrate efforts in NM-0.9 and let the code
> > for NM-0.8 in maintanance mode (no new features, only bug fixing).
> > System connections would be out of nm08 branch, less code /changes less
> > bug fixing.
>
> Well ... I have half finished work on top of Gokcen branch that
> re-enabled user connections again :) Right now I get them in
> activateables list and can use to connect (including providing local
> secrets). Editing should follow. Effectively it backs out some of
> Gokcen changes and leaves current information exchange between kded
> module and applet via on-disk file. This was the minimal change I
> could find.

	We should use DBus to do data exchange between kded and the plasmoid. The
plasmoid already does that, the kded module has a DBus interface. The problem
is the other way around, the plasmoid does not have a DBus interface, but one
should not be necessary as far as I know.

> I can't comment on NM 0.9 because distro I am using won't have it in
> near future so I am stuck with NM 0.8 anyway. For this reasons I
> really would like to bring user+system settings support there ...

	I proposed to create a branch for NM-0.8 without system connections
support because Plasma NM is in short of work force. If you take the
responsability to maintain that part of the code then it should be no problem.

--
Lamarque V. Souza
http://www.geographicguide.com/brazil.htm