migration to NM 0.9 and ask for help

Lamarque Vieira Souza lamarque at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 21:45:27 CET 2011

	Hi all,

	As you all know we need to upgrade Plasma NM to support NetworkManager
0.9. I have created the branch nm09 in networkmanagement repository with the
changes from Gökcen Eraslan and Jirka Klimes. The code in there does *not*
work with NetworkManager-0.8.

	Since the changes in NM-0.9 are very intrusive for Plasma NM I think it
is a good idea to keep two branches for networkmanagement, one for code meant
to work with NetworkManager-0.8 only and another for NetworkManager-0.9 only.
In practice that is what we already have (master for NM-0.8 and nm09 for
NM-0.9). I would like to also make the following changes:

1. Create a nm08 branch and change nm09 branch to be the master. I know
distribution packagers may not like this change.

2. Change the version number in the nm08 branch to me 0.8 instead of 0.9. That
would make it easier for distribution packagers /users know which one works
with each NM version.

3. In the future move Solid::Control::Network* namespace from Solid to nm08
branch and use libnm-qt only for the master branch (today nm09 branch). This
should be done by the KDE SC 4.7 release date.

	That would allows us to concentrate efforts in NM-0.9 and let the code
for NM-0.8 in maintanance mode (no new features, only bug fixing). System
connections would be out of nm08 branch, less code /changes less bug fixing.

	Will (the person, not the verb hehe), how is libnm-qt going? Is there a
release date? Will it support NM-0.9?

	I have not started working in the nm09 branch because I am a bit
overwhelmed with bugfixing in VPN / MobileBroadband code and some other KDE
programs. I also do not have NetworkManager-0.9 snapshot installed yet.

Lamarque V. Souza
http://www.geographicguide.com/brazil.htm
Linux User #57137 - http://counter.li.org/
http://www.kde-mg.org