migration to NM 0.9 and ask for help

Lamarque Vieira Souza lamarque at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 21:31:54 CET 2011

Em Monday 21 March 2011, Jirka Klimes escreveu:
> Hello,

	Hello,

> I'd like to bring your attention to KNM and to the effort to make it work
> with new NM 0.9.

	Good, we (or I must say I) need help with this.

> I basically did this:
> * generated proxy for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager interface
> (Activate/DeactivateConnection(), ...)
>   - the methods removes "service" argument
> * updated introspection and generated proxy for
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Connection.Active interface
> * accomodate device/connection states
> * fix listing connecions
> * some other fixes
> * I did *not* removeed unnecessary code (yeah, there will be more removals
> then additions)
> * I did *not* implement a secrets agent

	Is user connections still working after your changes?

> Basically, I bypasses Solid::Control where things changed instead of
> adapting it.
> All what I did are just quick changes trying to make things work. And it is
> by no means complete.
> It is also quite hard for me to follow the code due to many abstractions
> layers, backends, unnecessary complexity. And due tomy lack of familiarity
> with KDE/Qt stuff, of course. I feel that I'm not able to do the transition
> to NM 0.9 myself. Also i's not clear how the changes should be managed
> because the KNM design will probably (and hopefully) change. So, it would
> be helpful if some KDE guys could step in and drive the adaption of design
> and transition to NM 0.9.

	I agree, it is also hard for the to do some changes because of the too
many abstractions. It was Will Stephenson who designed most the abstractions,
so he would be the best person to ask about how to improve them but he is
missing in the list for some time. I usually try to follow the abstractions
but for some changes it is very troublesome. Yesterday I tried to improve SIM
PIN unlock for 3G modems to close a bug entry in bugs.kde.org and hitted the
abstractions again :-/

> Luckily, Will Stephenson already started a libnm-qt (similar to
> libnm-glib), that will hopefully remove Solid::Control, backends and other
> redundant layers, and will simplify the design. Also Likas Tinkl expressed
> a will to work on libnm-qt to get it into shape. The library is not public
> yet, though and I haven't seen it.

	Me too.

> Cheers,
> Jirka
>
> PS:
> - Please see attached patches with my changes and test (based on master
> branch)
> - Sorry for not pushing that to a branch, but I don't have an account yet.
>   (Is it possible to create some scratch branches on anongit or something?)

	I can create a nm09 branch on git://anongit.kde.org/networkmanagement.git

	To ask for a KDE account follow these instructions
http://techbase.kde.org/Contribute/Get_a_SVN_Account , at least that was what
I did when I asked for my KDE account :-) After that you can set up you local
git repository following the instructions in
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Sources/KDE_git-tutorial and
http://community.kde.org/Sysadmin/GitKdeOrgManual

--
Lamarque V. Souza