System-wide wireless connection bug

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Mar 11 11:37:47 CET 2011

Hey guys,

On Thursday, March 10, 2011 21:45:11 Lamarque Vieira Souza wrote:

> > > Hi guys,
> > >
> > > yeah, NM 0.9 changes the API a bit, so it is not compatible with 0.8.
> > > Basicaly the API is simplified and applets can save a ton of code,
> > > because they don't have to deal with user connections.
> > >
> > > Moreover, Dan would like to release NM 0.9 very soon (16th of March):
> > > http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/2011/02/24/networkmanager-0-8-4-beta1-gets-
> > > al l-up- in-there/
>
> 	That is too soon for KDE :-/

Well, we won't have it supported at release time, but having NM 0.9 out if
important for us so we can start the transition.

> > > And it will be in Fedora 15 too. Most of the stuff that depends on the
> > > new NM is already changed. But the KDE'a applet is not ready. And we
> > > don't what to let KDE users down. I think it's better to do the work
> > > right in upstream than just make patches for Fedora.
>
> 	I agree about working with upstream, that really helps.
>
> > > I would suggest to create a new branch in the main repo for that to be
> > > able to have separate applets for NM 0.8 and NM 0.9.
>
> 	Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> and  Will Stephenson
> <wstephenson at kde.org> have to approve that in my oppinion, specially
> because Will is officially the Plasma NM maintainer. Sebas, Will, what do
> you think?

Yes, that's what branches are for. :)

> > Wired/wireless should actually work I guess to fetch those properties
> > that are supported by Solid.
> >
> > So yes, some adaptation of Solid is required for mobile to work.
>
> 	I think it is better add a new Solid NM-0.9 backend
> (git://anongit.kde.org/kde-workspace/solid/networkmanagement-0.9) to deal
> with that changes in Solid. Anway, those changes are going to be available
> only in KDE SC 4.7, which is scheduled to be released late July, unless we
> get approval to change KDE SC's API before that. Releasing those changes
> before KDE SC 4.7 is another thing that should be discussed with Sebas and
> Will.

No strong preference from my side, what do others think? It would surely be
nice if we had as little duplicated code as possible, but retain support for
"older" versions of NM.

Cheers,
--
sebas