System-wide wireless connection bug

Lamarque Vieira Souza lamarque at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 21:45:11 CET 2011

Em Thursday 10 March 2011, Andrey Borzenkov escreveu:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 9:05 PM, Jirka Klimes <jklimes at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 10 of March 2011 07:23:56 Andrey Borzenkov wrote:

> >> No. It is very unlikely to work due to D-Bus API changes, secrets
> >> handling changes, ...
> >>
> >> I do not know if it possible at all to have support for both NM 0.8
> >> and NM 0.9 in a single program. For a start, all NM lib major were
> >> increased so it is not clear how to even compile such binary.
> >>
> >> I thought more about current KNM 0.9 support NM 0.8 and move forward
> >> to 0.10 (or whatever) with NM 0.9 support.

> >> Does it help?
> >>
> >> http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/developers/migrating-to-09/
> >
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > yeah, NM 0.9 changes the API a bit, so it is not compatible with 0.8.
> > Basicaly the API is simplified and applets can save a ton of code,
> > because they don't have to deal with user connections.
> >
> > Moreover, Dan would like to release NM 0.9 very soon (16th of March):
> > http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/2011/02/24/networkmanager-0-8-4-beta1-gets-al
> > l-up- in-there/

	That is too soon for KDE :-/

> > And it will be in Fedora 15 too. Most of the stuff that depends on the
> > new NM is already changed. But the KDE'a applet is not ready. And we
> > don't what to let KDE users down. I think it's better to do the work
> > right in upstream than just make patches for Fedora.

	I agree about working with upstream, that really helps.

> > I would suggest to create a new branch in the main repo for that to be
> > able to have separate applets for NM 0.8 and NM 0.9.

	Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> and  Will Stephenson
<wstephenson at kde.org> have to approve that in my oppinion, specially because
Will is officially the Plasma NM maintainer. Sebas, Will, what do you think?

> > Since NM 0.9 uses just system-wide connections it is crucial that knm
> > supports them. Is the cloned repo with the systemwide branch working?
> > Could it be merged to the new branch for NM 0.9 created on main repo?

	It seems to be working according to Andrey Borzenkov, but the repo's ower
(Gökcen Eraslan) has not appeared here in list for few months. I would like
him to answer that question and if he has tested the code against a NM-0.9
snapshot. The repository also contains changes not related to system
connections implementation.

> > Yeah, the API changes are here:
> > http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/developers/migrating-to-09/
> > I am ready to help with the migration to NM 0.9.
> >
> > BTW, is the Solid code dependent on NM version or is it sufficient to
> > just adapt networkmanagement applet?
>
> Well ... except for missing new properties and lack of IPv6 support,
> the main difference is WWAN; those methods no more exist:

	You mean those DBus' interfaces.

> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Device.Cdma,
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Device.Gsm,
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Device.Serial
>
> Wired/wireless should actually work I guess to fetch those properties
> that are supported by Solid.
>
> So yes, some adaptation of Solid is required for mobile to work.

	I think it is better add a new Solid NM-0.9 backend
(git://anongit.kde.org/kde-workspace/solid/networkmanagement-0.9) to deal with
that changes in Solid. Anway, those changes are going to be available only in
KDE SC 4.7, which is scheduled to be released late July, unless we get
approval to change KDE SC's API before that. Releasing those changes before
KDE SC 4.7 is another thing that should be discussed with Sebas and Will.

--
Lamarque V. Souza
http://www.geographicguide.com/brazil.htm