System-wide wireless connection bug

Jirka Klimes jklimes at redhat.com
Thu Mar 10 19:05:58 CET 2011

On Thursday 10 of March 2011 07:23:56 Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Lamarque Vieira Souza
>
> <lamarque at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I was testing this branch and I do not remember any issue with
> >>
> >> wireless - I think I could see both wired and wireless system
> >>
> >> connections.
> >
> > Good to know that.

> >> This branch does not support user settings as of now. What are plans
> >>
> >> regarding NM 0.9? It dropped user settings completely; may be it makes
> >>
> >> sense to target this branch at NM 0.9 support? This obsoletes user
> >>
> >> settings problem completely.
> >
> > We still need user settings support for those who are not going to
> > upgrade to NM 0.9 soon. Have you tested that branch against a NM 0.9
> > snapshot?
>
> No. It is very unlikely to work due to D-Bus API changes, secrets
> handling changes, ...
>
> I do not know if it possible at all to have support for both NM 0.8
> and NM 0.9 in a single program. For a start, all NM lib major were
> increased so it is not clear how to even compile such binary.
>
> I thought more about current KNM 0.9 support NM 0.8 and move forward
> to 0.10 (or whatever) with NM 0.9 support.

> > still need to figure out what kind of changes we will need to do in
> > Solid::Control::NetworkManager (or its successor) to accomodate NM 0.9
> > specification. Maybe it is a good idea to create a new networkmanager-0.9
> > backend in kde://kde-workspace/solid/
>
> Does it help?
>
> http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/developers/migrating-to-09/

Hi guys,

yeah, NM 0.9 changes the API a bit, so it is not compatible with 0.8.
Basicaly the API is simplified and applets can save a ton of code, because they
don't have to deal with user connections.

Moreover, Dan would like to release NM 0.9 very soon (16th of March):
http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/2011/02/24/networkmanager-0-8-4-beta1-gets-all-up-
in-there/

And it will be in Fedora 15 too. Most of the stuff that depends on the new NM
is already changed. But the KDE'a applet is not ready. And we don't what to
let KDE users down. I think it's better to do the work right in upstream than
just make patches for Fedora.
I would suggest to create a new branch in the main repo for that to be able to
have separate applets for NM 0.8 and NM 0.9.

Since NM 0.9 uses just system-wide connections it is crucial that knm supports
them. Is the cloned repo with the systemwide branch working? Could it be
merged to the new branch for NM 0.9 created on main repo?

Yeah, the API changes are here:
http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/developers/migrating-to-09/
I am ready to help with the migration to NM 0.9.

BTW, is the Solid code dependent on NM version or is it sufficient to just adapt
networkmanagement applet?

Cheers,
Jirka