System-wide wireless connection bug

Andrey Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 07:23:56 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Lamarque Vieira Souza
<lamarque at gmail.com> wrote:
> Em Wednesday 09 March 2011, Andrey Borzenkov escreveu:
>
>> 2011/3/9 Lamarque Vieira Souza <lamarque at gmail.com>:
>
>> > Hi,
>

>> > What is the status of your work on system connections implementation?
>
>> > Does it still have the problems you mentioned below? I see you have been
>
>> > working in a git branch:
>

>> > http://quickgit.kde.org/index.php?p=clones%2Fnetworkmanagement%2Fgokcen%2
>
>> > Fnetworkmanagement.git&a=shortlog&h=refs/heads/systemwide
>

>> > with several modifications for networkmanagement besides system
>
>> > connections.
>

>> I was testing this branch and I do not remember any issue with
>
>> wireless - I think I could see both wired and wireless system
>
>> connections.
>
> Good to know that.
>
>> > Do you plan to push those changes to master?
>

>> This branch does not support user settings as of now. What are plans
>
>> regarding NM 0.9? It dropped user settings completely; may be it makes
>
>> sense to target this branch at NM 0.9 support? This obsoletes user
>
>> settings problem completely.
>
> We still need user settings support for those who are not going to upgrade
> to NM 0.9 soon. Have you tested that branch against a NM 0.9 snapshot?

No. It is very unlikely to work due to D-Bus API changes, secrets
handling changes, ...

I do not know if it possible at all to have support for both NM 0.8
and NM 0.9 in a single program. For a start, all NM lib major were
increased so it is not clear how to even compile such binary.

I thought more about current KNM 0.9 support NM 0.8 and move forward
to 0.10 (or whatever) with NM 0.9 support.

> still need to figure out what kind of changes we will need to do in
> Solid::Control::NetworkManager (or its successor) to accomodate NM 0.9
> specification. Maybe it is a good idea to create a new networkmanager-0.9
> backend in kde://kde-workspace/solid/

Does it help?

http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/developers/migrating-to-09/