"enable networking" patch, bug #238325

Lamarque Vieira Souza lamarque at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 20:29:24 CEST 2010

Em Tuesday 14 September 2010, Rex Dieter escreveu:
> On 09/14/2010 11:37 AM, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > Hey Rex,
> >
> > On Tuesday, September 14, 2010 18:38:03 Rex Dieter wrote:
> >> Can I get some comment and feedback on the patch attached to bug
> >> #238325, "Adding "Enable networking" button to knetworkmanager""
> >>
> >> It seems to work as advertised in testing, includes adding a bit to
> >> solid as  well.  OK to commit?
> >
> > knetworkmanager isn't even build (and it won't with newer versions of
> > dbusmenu), what's likely to happen is that I'll delete is because it's
> > bitrotting as we speak. Our focus is fully on the Plasmoid (which doesn't
> > have the problem to begin with).
> >
> > Best is probably to ship it as a local patch for those that need a fix
> > for that particular problem.
>
> To be clear, thepatch fixes both monolithic and plasma applet, and adds
> a solid method for enable/disable.  So, it's more than just monolithic
> knm being affected here.

	As sebas said Plasma NM does not have this particular problem. If
NetworkManager is sleeping and you click on "Enable Networking" checkbox
(maybe you need to do it twice), it will wake up NetworkManager and everything
works. The problem I guess is that most people does not realize that is the
way to wake NetworkManager with Plasma NM.

	I got you point about adding the "Enable" method to NM. It is in NM 0.8.1
specification so probably we will need to add it in the future and change the
"Enable Networking" checkbox in Plasma NM to use it instead of the sleep/wake
methods, which is what your patches do. By what I read in NM's git repository
sleep/wake is not going to change the file
/var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state anymore, only the "Enable" method
is going to do it. If we want the "Enable Networking" checkbox to work during
reboots probably we will need to use this new "Enable" method instead of
sleep/wake or it will not work, although I think few people is going to make
use of this scenario.

	Please change this slot to use the parameter enabled instead of doing a
solid call, the parameter is there for that reason:

+void NMPopup::managerNetworkingEnabledChanged(bool enabled)
+{
+    kDebug() << "NM daemon changed networking enable state" << enabled;
+    m_networkingCheckBox-
>setChecked(Solid::Control::NetworkManager::isNetworkingEnabled());
+}
+

--
Lamarque V. Souza