Help to implement some features

Lamarque Vieira Souza lamarque at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 22:04:20 CEST 2010

	Ok,

	The first version of the patches are here:
http://bach.metasys.com.br/~lamarque/knetworkmanager/

	They only add Strenth and Network information to the Mobile Broadband
tooltip. There are still a lot of things to improve on them, so they are just
prototypes for now. The current problems with solid-4.4.2-
gsm_strength_network-20100421.patch:

. it works with only one modem for now. I still have to figure out how to
associate a NetworkManager device with a ModemManager device to fix this
problem. The GetSignalQuality and GetRegistrationInfo methods I am using (and
almost all ModemManager's dbus methods) demand one particular modem as
parameter.

. I had to add a registrationInfoStruct class and some functions to be able to
save GetRegistrationInfo reply. I am going add separated .cpp and .h files for
it to make code clearer.

. the MMModemManager class is inside NMGsmNetworkInterfacePrivate class, that
will be a problem to use ModemManager with other device types (CDMA and serial
for instance). As I said before probably I will add a modemmanager-0.3
directory, but I need to figure out a better place to instantiate ModemManager
class.

	I have only tested the code with my Sony Ericsson MD300 modem in ethernet
mode (using cdc_ether.ko driver). I can test it with my Samsung i8910 cell
phone too, but it would be great if you could test the code with other
modems/cell phones.

	The next step is to implement the signal strength in the device list that
appears when someone left click on system tray icon. At least I will be able
to use dbus signal to update the information instead of using polling.

--
Lamarque V. Souza
http://www.geographicguide.com/brazil.htm