kde network manager and pam_mount

Rob Verduijn rob.verduijn at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 22:53:02 CEST 2010

Hello Will,

You are right, I should have written it down in a different way.

wicd did not solve my pam mount problem, traditional network
management did that.
Traditional network management already launched the network
connection, so that when the graphical login appeared and the user
credentials that are supplied pam_mount picks them up.

wicd merely provides a way for users to still select a different
network than the one I configured
wicd allows the network admin to make a central wifi network
configuration so that I do not need to configure a wifi network for
each user that makes use of the laptop.
wicd does not provide networked authentication, on the other hand wicd
does not make it impossible to use networked authentication. It is
actually very easy to get it to work in combination with wicd.

Still kde network manager and/or network manager need to be able to do
the right thing and simply work in the previously mentioned situations
without the need of homebrew scripts in
/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d(the default for wired connections in
opensuse

I like the way knm/nm are going but I think they still need some work.

My apologies if I have insulted anyone with my previous mail.
Rob Verduijn