Creating ad-hoc network using knetworkmanager

Lamarque Vieira Souza lamarque at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 18:02:09 CEST 2009

	Hi all,

Em Segunda-feira 14 Setembro 2009, Will Stephenson escreveu:
> Sorry, but I think you don't have the most current information.
>
> Kubuntu are shipping knm with the same NM-0.8pre and so far it seems to
>  work, the API changes are small and mostly involve merging modem-manager.

	To make my MD300 modem work with modem-manager I had to comment the line
below from /lib/udev/rules.d/77-mm-ericsson-mbm.rules

ATTRS{idVendor}=="0fce", ATTRS{idProduct}=="d0cf", ENV{ID_MM_ERICSSON_MBM}="1"

	MD300 does not recognize the AT*ENAP and AT*E2NAP commands that modem-manager
tries to use when the setting above is in place. After commeting that line
modem-manager uses the generic-gsm plugin with my modem, which works but for
some reason it is ignoring almost all knetworkmanager parameters for my 3G
connection, it still uses username, password and APN, but all the rest
(including the baud rate) is ignored. Because of the lack of baud rate pppd
refurses to run. The log is attached. I do not know where the problem is (in
modem-manager, networkmanager or knetworkmanager), they interact too deep with
each other and I still have not figured out how to debug them more
efficiently. Since the ad-hoc feature is more important to me I postponed this
problem to concentrate in ad-hoc.

> The ad-hoc network support is largely untested.  See
> http://userbase.kde.org/NetworkManagement for how to troubleshoot this -
> specifically I need the NetworkManager logfile from when knm was started
>  with the adhoc connection configured, to see why NM rejects the
>  connection.

	Nothing appears in NetworkManager log, it seems knetworkmanager is not
reacting when I click on my shared wireless connection entry in knm menu. I
checked all *network* entries in kdebugdialog, run knm and the only line that
appeared in .xsession-errors was:

knetworkmanager(15622) Knm::Activatable::activate:

	I will do more debuging using qdbus --system --literal and nm-applet and send
you the logs.

--
Lamarque V. Souza
http://www.geographicguide.com/brazil.htm