Creating ad-hoc network using knetworkmanager

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Mon Sep 14 15:13:19 CEST 2009

On Thursday 10 September 2009 23:31:15 Robert Piasek wrote:
> Hi Lamarque,
>
> On Thursday 10 September 2009 21:00:07 Lamarque Vieira Souza wrote:
> > 	Hi all,
> >
> > 	 I am trying to create an ad-hoc network using knetworkmanager
> > (r1021673) and networkmanager-0.8.0_pre20090824 (Gentoo package) with no
> > lucky so far. When I clock on the configured ad-hoc network
> > knetworkmanager does nothing. Is this feature implemented in
> > knetworkmanager? Obs: I want to use my notebook as gateway for other
> > devices (my cell phone for instance).
>
> According to TODO file (from networkmanager-applet sources), ad-hoc network
>  is not implemented yet. Also while knetworkmanager is picking up NM-0.7
>  support, I don't think it will have any support for NM-0.8 (as it's still
>  in early development and api can change at any point). I've added it to
>  the gentoo's tree so people can test it, but currently only gnome's applet
>  should work (as it's written by the same developer as NM itself).

Sorry, but I think you don't have the most current information.

Kubuntu are shipping knm with the same NM-0.8pre and so far it seems to work,
the API changes are small and mostly involve merging modem-manager.

The ad-hoc network support is largely untested.  See
http://userbase.kde.org/NetworkManagement for how to troubleshoot this -
specifically I need the NetworkManager logfile from when knm was started with
the adhoc connection configured, to see why NM rejects the connection.

WIll