[Kde-extra-gear] Network Management to extragear/network

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Thu Nov 5 12:00:51 CET 2009

On Wednesday 04 November 2009 22:51:16 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > I think it's a good idea. Maybe kdebase is even a better (I consider
> >  connecting to networks basic functionality), but as you note, upstream
> >  (networkmanager, connman, wicd, ...) might require intermediate
> > releases. We could probably still do those, even if we end up in kdebase,
> > of course.
>
> yes, i don't see how being in kdebase means no interim releases.

I'm against kdebase for several reasons.  I reject the trend to move
everything that might be construed as basic functionality to kdebase - KDE
works just fine without a NetworkManager,wicd,connman client on a desktop with
static networking, and on several other platforms which have their own
networkmanagement stacks.

No-one will ignore or not find KNM if it's in extragear.

And my experience was that Kopete moving to main modules at that point in its
lifecycle killed innovation.  If we did interim releases as well as kdebase
releases we'd always be competing with the main module releases, as well as
trying to figure out whether 'I use knetworkmanager on 4.3.3' in a BR meant
the copy shipped with 4.3.3 or a later interim release.

Will