keep eth0 configured even if the cable is disconnected

Michael Biebl biebl at debian.org
Mon Jan 12 22:40:29 CET 2009

Elphel Support team (Alexandre Poltorak) wrote:
> Hi Achim,
>
> Here is my  /etc/network/interfaces:
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> iface eth0 inet static
> address 192.168.0.15
> netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> auto eth0
>
> eth0 is still managed by NM. Any suggestions ?

Do you use network-manager 0.6.x or 0.7.*?
If the latter, you should check that your ifupdown plugin is enabled, and that
devices managed by ifupdown (/e/n/i) are *not* managed:
My /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf looks like:

[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
managed=false

(run "killall nm-system-settings" after changing this config file).

For network-manager 0.6 (on Debian/Ubuntu), adding a custom configuration to
/etc/network/interfaces should be sufficient to make NM ignore this device.

Please also see /usr/share/doc/network-manager/README.Debian

Regards,
Michael

P.S: I think this discussion is a bit OT on a k-n-m devel m-l
universe are pointed away from Earth?