dbus-1-qt3 release

Michael Biebl biebl at debian.org
Thu Jun 5 15:09:30 CEST 2008

Kevin Krammer wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> On Thursday 05 June 2008, Helmut Schaa wrote:
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> Kevin published some release tarballs at [1] already but 0.8.1 is missing
>> some patches which I've added to the SUSE packages and are already in SVN.
>>
>> Am Mittwoch, 4. Juni 2008 18:25:21 schrieb Michael Biebl:
>>> I've been constantly testing NM 0.7 and knm 0.7. It looks like it's
>>> beginning to shape up and knm 0.7 is entering a stage, where it is
>>> usable. As a prerequiste of knm, dbus-1-qt3 needs to be packaged.
>>> I'd like to start with that for Debian.
>>> Unfortunately, there is no official dbus-1-qt3 package.
>>> I checked the SVN repo [1], but there isn't a tagged version anywhere.
>>> It's also a bit weird, that configure.in.in has the version 0.7, but it
>>> seems there is a version 0.8.1 floating around in suse [2].
>>>
>>> It would be nice, to have an official dbus-1-qt3 release, with proper
>>> versioning etc.
>> CC'ing Kevin ...
>
> I am a such a lousy upstream :(
> I tried to debug why a service started through D-Bus activation would not
> answer the first method call, but wasn't able to pin-point it and forgot that
> there were other important changes which were not released yet. Sorry!
> Thanks for kicking me :)
>
> I created a new tar ball and increased the version number to 0.9
>
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~krake/dbus-1-qt3/libdbus-1-qt3-0.9.tar.bz2
>
> If you find no issues I will link to it from the freedesktop.org web page.

A few comments:

1.) Although it has a bz2 file ending, the tarball seems to be gzipped.

2.) configure.in.in still lists 0.7. as version:
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(dbus-1-qt3, 0.7).
This version number should be bumped prior to release. It would also be
nice to have a tag in SVN.

3.) the tarball name (libdbus-1-qt3) and the package name (dbus-1-qt3)
differ. Usually the release tarball is named
$package_name-$version.tar.(gz,bz2).
This is e.g. how "make dist" does it.
It would be nice to know, if I should refer to the project as dbus-1-qt3
or libdbus-1-qt3 (in my package build files)

4.) I tried to run make distcheck. It immediately errs out, because it
can't find Makefile.cvs. I couldn't find Makefile.cvs in EXTRA_DIST in
Makefile.am or so, so this is a bit weird. Probably one of those
KDE/auto* black magic.
It's apparent, that "make dist" wasn't used for creating the dist
tarball, otherwise 2.),3.) and 4.) couldn't have happened.
I always find "make distcheck" particularly helpful, as it catches a lot
of common packaging mistakes.

5.) Having an up-to-date ChangeLog / NEWS file would be really nice, to
see what has changed.

6.) License
COPYING only lists GPL2+ as license, but it seems *.cpp, *.h, dbus/*.h
examples/* are dual-licensed under GPL2+ and Academic Free License 2.1.
tools/dbusxml2qt3/* seems to be BSD style licensed.
Could you please clarify this situation.

Cheers,
Michael
universe are pointed away from Earth?