Connection to wireless network

Valentine Sinitsyn Valentine.Sinitsyn at usu.ru
Fri May 25 15:50:35 CEST 2007

Hello Dan,

DT> I would like to ask you to two, hopefully simple, questions.
In fact it would be better to ask these questions on users mailing
list but as long we don't have one I guess it's ok to post them here.

DT> The first question is about how knetworkmanager (kNM) is supposed to react,
DT> when I click to an encrypted wireless network in the main kNM applet window
DT> (left click to kNM icon, window showing the wired network, wireless networks
DT> with signal strengths, settins, etc.; then choose a network according to
DT> ESSID and left click to it). I supposed that a dialog should appear which
DT> allows to set WPA/WEP related stuff (depending on encryption, recognized by
DT> NM).
Right. When you chose network to connect from the menu, KNM check
whether it requires a key (password) and shows you the dialog if
necessary. The most likely reason this doesn't work for you is D-Bus
problem on your system - see below.

DT> Or must be connection and parameters setting to encrypted wireless
DT> network set in a different way? When "connect to other wireless network"
DT> setting is chosen, kNM shows dialog for ESSID, passphrase and other stuff to
DT> set.
No. Despite being called a little bit misleadingly, "Connect to other
networks" is for making a connections with APs that don't broadcast
their ESSID and thus aren't shown in the menu.

DT> The next issue appears, when I stared knetworkmanager from command line, the
DT> following message appeared:

DT> Error requesting name, org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied:
DT> Connection ":1.15" is not allowed to own the
DT> service "org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo" due to security policies in the
DT> configuration file

DT> However, knetwormanager still communicates with NM. Is it bug or just bad
DT> setting? Wher to look to correct it? The true is that 'make install' may
DT> forgot to set something in /etc/udev.d/ or wherever.
It's D-Bus problem I've mentioned earlier. KNM/NM interaction involves
several interfaces and each of them has it's own policy. They are
usually stored in /etc/dbus and called somewhat like
NetworkManager.conf/knetworkmanager.conf - have a look at them in a
first place. Or post them here - I'll try to figure out what the
problem is.

Regards,
Valentine Sinitsyn