Connection to wireless network

Daniel Tihelka dtihelka at kky.zcu.cz
Fri May 25 14:53:08 CEST 2007

Hallo everybody,

I would like to ask you to two, hopefully simple, questions.

The first question is about how knetworkmanager (kNM) is supposed to react,
when I click to an encrypted wireless network in the main kNM applet window
(left click to kNM icon, window showing the wired network, wireless networks
with signal strengths, settins, etc.; then choose a network according to
ESSID and left click to it). I supposed that a dialog should appear which
allows to set WPA/WEP related stuff (depending on encryption, recognized by
NM). Or must be connection and parameters setting to encrypted wireless
network set in a different way? When "connect to other wireless network"
setting is chosen, kNM shows dialog for ESSID, passphrase and other stuff to
set.

The next issue appears, when I stared knetworkmanager from command line, the
following message appeared:

Error requesting name, org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied:
Connection ":1.15" is not allowed to own the
service "org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo" due to security policies in the
configuration file

However, knetwormanager still communicates with NM. Is it bug or just bad
setting? Wher to look to correct it? The true is that 'make install' may
forgot to set something in /etc/udev.d/ or wherever.

Thank you very much,
Dan

My system is gentoo 2007.0 on IBM ThinkPad T43 laptop with:

kNM version:      0.1 (compiled manually, downloaded from
http://en.opensuse.org/Projects/KNetworkManager)
NM version:        0.6.5
HAL version:       0.5.7.1-r5
DBUS version:    1.0.2-r2
kernel version:   2.6.20-gentoo-r8 (gcc version 3.4.6 PREEMPT)
network card:    eth: Broadcom Gigabit (10/100/1000), wifi: ipw2200