Re: Connection to wireless network - wpa

rozelak at volny.cz rozelak at volny.cz
Thu Jun 21 15:13:51 CEST 2007

----- PŮVODNÍ ZPRÁVA -----
Od: "Helmut Schaa" <hschaa at suse.de>
Komu: rozelak at volny.cz
Předmět: Re: Connection to wireless network - wpa
Datum: 21.6.2007 - 13:42:39

> Am Donnerstag, 21. Juni 2007 schrieb rozelak at volny.cz:
> > partially good news. I tried to connet eduroam manually
> > (using iwconfig,
> > > ifconfig, wpa_supplicant), and I was succesfull!
> > However, I had to set
> > > "key_mgmt=IEEE8021X" in wpa_supplicant config file.
> > I was not able to
> > > find this in knm config, when "Connect to other ...."
> > option was chosen
> >
> Try WPA Enterprise...

Well, I have tried WPA Enterprise in knm, WPA Personal does not allow
to set stuff as is required in wpa_supplicator copnfig ;-) There is
even "Phase Two" option with MSCHAPV2 possibility. But I did not found
where to set something like "key_mgmt=IEEE8021X".

> > from the knm applet menu (all other options I was
> > able to found and
> > > set). Moreover, there is still the issue, that knm
> > does not offer wpa
> > > a setting dialog (the same/similar to "connect to
> > other ..." option)
> > > when the AP is chosen directly.
>
> Thats the difficult part ;-)
> The output of nm-tool would help a lot to determine
> if its a general
> NetworkManager issue.

Finally, there is output of nm-tool. I have found tar.gz for NetworkManager
6.4-5 for FedoraCore, and I have copied nm-tool binary from this rpm.
Strange think is that gentoo build of NM (version 0.6.5 which I have
instaled) does not contain nm-tool ... However, even when nm-tool is
from different version, it did not write any errors, so there is the
output:

NetworkManager Tool

State: connected

- Device: eth0 ----------------------------------------------------------------
NM Path:           /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/eth0
Type:              Wired
Driver:            tg3
Active:            yes
HW Address:        00:16:41:10:95:34

Capabilities:
Supported:       yes
Carrier Detect:  yes
Speed:           100 Mb/s

Wired Settings
Hardware Link:   yes

IP Settings:
*** DELETED ***

- Device: eth1 ----------------------------------------------------------------
NM Path:           /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/eth1
Type:              802.11 Wireless
Driver:            ipw2200
Active:            no
HW Address:        00:16:6F:17:62:C7

Capabilities:
Supported:       yes

Wireless Settings
Scanning:        yes
WEP Encryption:  yes
WPA Encryption:  yes
WPA2 Encryption: yes

Wireless Networks (* = Current Network)
eduroam:         Infrastructure Mode, Freq 0.000 MHz, Rate 62 Mb/s, Strength
67%, Encrypted (WEP WPA WPA2 Enterprise)
eduroam-simple:  Infrastructure Mode, Freq 0.000 MHz, Rate 62 Mb/s, Strength
67%
inethome1c:      Infrastructure Mode, Freq 0.000 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength
27%
NOVA10:          Infrastructure Mode, Freq 0.000 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength
25%, Encrypted (WEP)
telem-net_6:     Infrastructure Mode, Freq 0.000 MHz, Rate 62 Mb/s, Strength
20%

Is it what you have wanted??? I read through man page and I did not find
any further options for nm-tool ...

> > There is the example of wpa_supplicant config file
> > for which the connection
> > > worked:
> >
> > ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> > ctrl_interface_group=0
> > eapol_version=1
> > ap_scan=2
> > fast_reauth=1
> >
> > network={
> > ssid="eduroam"
> > key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
> > eap=PEAP
> > proto=WPA
> > identity="my_name at ZCU.CZ"
> > password="my_password"
> > ca_cert="path_to_certificate"
> > phase1="peaplabel=0"
> > phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
> > priority=10
> > }
>
> Ok, so you need phase2 authentication -> knm 0.2.

As I wrote, there is Phase2 configuration in knm. I use subversion build
from the beginning of the june, but I have forgot the number :-(

Did I send what you have wanted? Regards,
Dan