Re: Connection to wireless network - wpa

rozelak at volny.cz rozelak at volny.cz
Wed Jun 20 17:10:11 CEST 2007

Hallo,

I send the required outputs (shortened to relevant data):

$# iwlist eth1 scanning
eth1      Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 00:11:93:10:B7:B0
ESSID:"eduroam"
Protocol:IEEE 802.11bg
Mode:Master
Channel:4
Encryption key:on
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
11 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
Quality=39/100  Signal level=-77 dBm
IE: WPA Version 1
Group Cipher : WEP-104
Pairwise Ciphers (1) : TKIP
Authentication Suites (1) : 802.1X
IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
Group Cipher : WEP-104
Pairwise Ciphers (1) : CCMP
Authentication Suites (1) : 802.1X
Extra: Last beacon: 684ms ago
Cell 02 - Address: 00:11:93:10:B7:B1
ESSID:"eduroam-simple"
Protocol:IEEE 802.11bg
Mode:Master
Channel:4
Encryption key:off
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
11 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
Quality=35/100  Signal level=-79 dBm
Extra: Last beacon: 680ms ago
Cell 03 - Address: 00:11:21:BF:D1:42
ESSID:"<hidden>"
Protocol:IEEE 802.11bg
Mode:Master
Channel:7
Encryption key:on
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
11 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
Quality=79/100  Signal level=-50 dBm
IE: WPA Version 1
Group Cipher : TKIP
Pairwise Ciphers (1) : TKIP
Authentication Suites (1) : 802.1X
IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
Group Cipher : TKIP
Pairwise Ciphers (1) : CCMP
Authentication Suites (1) : 802.1X
Extra: Last beacon: 28ms ago

.... etc.

I use ipw2200 "driver", which is reported to be working with NM, I guess:

$# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
vboxdrv                29768  1
parport_pc             24804  0
parport                31432  1 parport_pc
nsc_ircc               16560  0
irda                  104312  1 nsc_ircc
ipw2200               137416  0
ieee80211              30728  1 ipw2200
ieee80211_crypt         4608  1 ieee80211

Also kernel should be configured correctly:

$# less /usr/src/linux/.config | grep CONFIG_IEEE80211
CONFIG_IEEE80211=m
CONFIG_IEEE80211_CRYPT_WEP=m
CONFIG_IEEE80211_CRYPT_CCMP=m
CONFIG_IEEE80211_CRYPT_TKIP=m
CONFIG_IEEE80211_SOFTMAC=m

------

$# less /usr/src/linux/.config | grep CONFIG_CRYPTO
CONFIG_CRYPTO=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_DES=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_AES=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_AES_586=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_ARC4=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_MICHAEL_MIC=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_CRC32C=y

One think to add - just now I realized, that I am not able to connect
the "eduroam" net even manually (running iwconfig, ifconfig, wpa_supplicant
with appropriate settings) - wpa_supplicant was not able to authentize
me. I have send an e-mail to our support, so I expect that something
may be brokem on my side. Nevertheless, I would expect knm to show some
configuration for WPA, even if the authentization will fail then. However,
knm allows WEP configuration only.

I do not have "nm-tool" installed (part of NM? It was not installed togerher
with NM. Depends on Gnome?). So I cannot provide its output; is it big
problem?

Thank you for continuous help, best regards,
Dan