Connection to wireless network - wpa

Helmut Schaa hschaa at suse.de
Wed Jun 6 11:20:14 CEST 2007

Am Mittwoch, 6. Juni 2007 schrieb rozelak at volny.cz:
> Hallo again,
>
> sorry for troubeling you again, I have two more questions. When I tried

I counted more then two questions. At least I wrote more then two answers ;-).

> to connect to unencrypted wireless, everything seemed to be OK. However,
> I was not able to connect to WPA encrypted net. The first question is,
> if WPA-related setting is supported by knetworkmanager applet (knm).

Yes, supported.

> On 'snapshot1', in atachment, there is info provided by NetworkManager
> (NM) about the networks, I tried to re-connect to 'eduroam' which is
> WPA encrypted (NM showed it in Encryption protocol, as shown on the
> snapshot).
>
> However, when I tried to connect the network (just by clicking on it),
> I was not able to choose WPA and set parameters for it - see 'snapshot2'
> in atachment. I suppose, that NM tells to knm about WPA, and knm should
> allow to set all parameters for wpa_supplicant. NM will then start the
> wpa_supplicant with parameters set to allow the connection running.
> Is it right? May there be another problem with configuration?

Yes thats the way it should work ;-)

Could you ever connect to this network?
If yes you can simply remove the appropriate entry in
~/.kde/share/config/knetworkmanagerrc and try again.

> Second question is - is it correct that NM continues with detection of
> wireless networks even when they are disabled in knm? I have wireless
> disabled by default in knm applet, but popup windows saying "net XY
> diappeared" are still appearing. I just want to know if it is correct
> behaviour, as I read that scanning is quite power consuming. Or is it
> a bug when NM does not understand "disable wireless" requirement?

Hmm, I'm not sure. But as far as I know NM should disable scanning if wireless
is disabled throught knm.

> I am sorry, but I have no experience with encrypted wireless networking,
> so the question may be quite stupid. Therefore, I would like to understand
> the way of knm and NM work.
>

> Just for sure:
>
> My system is gentoo 2007.0 on IBM ThinkPad T43 laptop with:
>
> kNM version:      0.1 (compiled manually, downloaded from
> http://en.opensuse.org/Projects/KNetworkManager)
> NM version:        0.6.5
> HAL version:       0.5.7.1-r5
> DBUS version:    1.0.2-r2
> kernel version:   2.6.20-gentoo-r8 (gcc version 3.4.6 PREEMPT)
> network card:    eth: Broadcom Gigabit (10/100/1000), wifi: ipw2200

This knm version is fairly old and is missing a lot of patches. Could you
please try the current svn version? You can get it from [1]. If you need
support for building knetworkmanager feel free to bother us here.

> ----
> I am very sorry, I was not able to send snapshots, the message body
> exceeded a limit of 40 KB - they have 63kB packed in tar.bz2. I will send
> them to your personal mails, if you want to.

If you think they are relevant please do so :-)

Regards
Helmut

[1] http://websvn.kde.org/branches/extragear/kde3/network/knetworkmanager