[kde-networkmanager] knetworkmanager and vpn plugins

Valentine Sinitsyn Valentine.Sinitsyn at usu.ru
Wed Jun 14 16:14:36 CEST 2006

Hello Michael,

MB> one area where knetworkmanager is currently lacking in comparison with
MB> nm-applet is vpn plugins.
MB> First, I think it would be great if k-n-m would display an overlay icon
MB> when it is connected to a vpn (similar to nm-applet)

MB> Second, password handling. Atm I have to type in the passwords every
MB> time because the vpn plugins use gnome-keyring internally for storing
MB> its passwords.
MB> I think there are two ways to handle this:
MB> k-n-m could start gnome-keyring-daemon (if existent) and pass the
MB> environment variables GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET and GNOME_KEYRING_PID (which
MB> are returned by g-k-d) to the vpn plugin.
MB> Or k-n-m could store the vpn passwords itself in kwallet and directly
MB> pass it to the vpn-plugin?

MB> Thoughts, comments?
MB> Michael
As far as I know it, the situation is even worse. Currently
KNetworkManager requires networkmanager-vpn-daemon (or something named
similar) so VPN can work properly. These daemons are part of
NetworkManager project and Gnome-specific. So, in my vision, they
should be substitued with some KDE application responsible for showing
and establishing VPN connections. And guess what? We have one - it's
name is KVpnc and it is a neighbor of KNM in kdereview SVN module. I
was thinking about implementing some kind of bridge between KNM and
KVpnc - but it's only an idea for now

Regards,
Valentine