How dead is Phonon?

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Sun Feb 18 18:36:49 GMT 2018

On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 6:41 PM, Nicolas F. <kdelists at fratti.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently been running into issues with both the gstreamer and the VLC Phonon backend, and upon research I've found that most Phonon development seems to have ceased in 2011, and only knotifications appears to really depend on it these days.

I don't even know how to comment on such nonsense...
https://cgit.kde.org/phonon.git/log/
https://cgit.kde.org/phonon-vlc.git/log/

> Is Phonon as good as dead? If so, wouldn't it make sense to transition knotifications away from Phonon to the Qt multimedia APIs?

knotifications should be using libcanberra or another small sample
caching library. General purpose applications I would suggest look
into using libvlc (also has rather excellent c++ bindings now and the
qml bindings aren't half bad either I hear) as it, by and large, has a
less convoluted API and gives the best experience to the user.

HS