Music Player in KDE Multimedia Applications

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Mon Jun 19 08:55:40 BST 2017

Ahoy ahoy,

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 11:04 PM, Matthieu Gallien
<gallien.matthieu at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have requested Elisa to be moved to kdereview and at first asked for a move
> to extragear.

It looks awesome :)

> What is your point of view related to Juk, KDE Multimedia and Elisa ?
>
> I would still like to move in the main module removing the need to do releases
> myself. I also know that Camilo Higuita is working on Babe music player and I
> do not intend to start any conflict over a choice between both projects. This
> is why I believe that extragear is the right choice at the moment.

Well, there is nothing that prevents >1 music player from being in
kdemultimedia. In fact historically we had multiple players during
most of the 3.x series if I recall correctly. Nowadays kdemultimedia
and applications at large are really just a way to do joint
maintenance and releases, so there is even less worry with regards to
application overlap.

>> As far as licensing is concerned: that is up to you, LGPL3+ is not a
>> preferred license though.
>> https://community.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy outlines all
>> options.
>> Either you go LGPL2.1+ or LGPL2.1+-KDEeV unless there is a very good
>> reason why you'd need to use LGPL3+
>
> I have a dependency on a AGPL3 library for a SOAP server related to UPnP
> support. This is the reason for choosing a v3 license.

Ah yes, that makes sense.

>> While we are on the topic of licensing, you may want to check out the
>> KDE e.V.'s fiduciary licensing agreement
>> https://ev.kde.org/rules/fla.php signing this would allow the KDE e.V.
>> to manage license changes on your behalf should it become necessary in
>> the future.
>
> I have sent it this week. Hopefully I have managed to send it correctly.

Groovy.

HS