Music Player in KDE Multimedia Applications

Matthieu Gallien gallien.matthieu at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 22:04:02 BST 2017

Hello Harald,

I have requested Elisa to be moved to kdereview and at first asked for a move
to extragear.

What is your point of view related to Juk, KDE Multimedia and Elisa ?

I would still like to move in the main module removing the need to do releases
myself. I also know that Camilo Higuita is working on Babe music player and I
do not intend to start any conflict over a choice between both projects. This
is why I believe that extragear is the right choice at the moment.

On mardi 31 janvier 2017 11:01:51 CEST Harald Sitter wrote:
> Hey
>
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 10:09 AM, Matthieu Gallien
>
> <gallien.matthieu at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to know if there are plans for a default Music Player based
> > on
> > Qt5/KF5 ?
> >
> > My understanding is that KDE Applications will need to be based on
> > Frameworks to be released with KDE Applications 17.12. Is there any plan
> > from your side with regard to a default music player ?
>
> I don't think anyone is working on a music player right now. Juk
> technically could get ported from kdelibs but I don't think anyone is
> working on that either.
>
> > I plan to continue working on Elisa even if it never becomes default in
> > KDE. My motivation is still to scratch my own itch like I did for more
> > than one year.
> >
> > Still, I would like to plan my work and that depends on opportunities
> > related to the next applications release.
> >
> > I have still a few technical blockers for a first release of Elisa but I
> > am
> > not clear on the exact requirements to migrate from playground. I have
> > found this wiki page
> > (https://community.kde.org/Policies/Application_Lifecycle) but I am not
> > sure is it is up to date.
>
> The process outlined in stage2 is mostly unchanged.
>
> > I believe I have to change the license to GPLv3+ instead of LGPLv3+. I am
> > not sure if a docbook documentation is required. Do you know other
> > requirements ?
>
> Documentation is nice to have but not a blocker. What is a requirement
> is proper internationalization (i.e. being able to translate the app).
> This is in fact one of the core topics of review once the software is
> in kdereview.
> When you are ready you file a ticket at
> http://sysadmin.kde.org/tickets asking for Elisa to be moved to
> kdereview and send a mail to kde-devel and kde-core-devel saying Elisa
> is in kdereview and you want to get into kde applications. At this
> point hopefully someone does a review and once that is done (after at
> least 2 weeks) and everything is in order you can ask the sysadmins to
> finish the move. It's usually wise to then also send a mail to
> release-team at kde.org reminding them that Elisa should be released with
> applications.
>
> There is an option to have your application version managed by the
> release scripts, by using special variables (see for example the
> CMakeLists.txt in dragon.git), that's optional and only necessary if
> you don't want to manage versions yourself.
>
> As far as licensing is concerned: that is up to you, LGPL3+ is not a
> preferred license though.
> https://community.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy outlines all
> options.
> Either you go LGPL2.1+ or LGPL2.1+-KDEeV unless there is a very good
> reason why you'd need to use LGPL3+

I have a dependency on a AGPL3 library for a SOAP server related to UPnP
support. This is the reason for choosing a v3 license.

> There is no requirement for you to license under GPL, if you prefer
> LGPL then use an LGPL license. Any of the licenses on the policy page
> are acceptable, which one you use only depends on which type of
> freedom you want for your code.
>
> While we are on the topic of licensing, you may want to check out the
> KDE e.V.'s fiduciary licensing agreement
> https://ev.kde.org/rules/fla.php signing this would allow the KDE e.V.
> to manage license changes on your behalf should it become necessary in
> the future.

I have sent it this week. Hopefully I have managed to send it correctly.

> HS

Best regards

--
Matthieu Gallien