Request for review - Audex

Bernd Steinhauser linux at bernd-steinhauser.de
Tue May 3 07:55:28 BST 2016

Hi,

over the last months, Heiko and I spent some time portingthe CDDA Ripper Audex
to KF5.
You can find the commits in my GitHub repository forAudex:
https://github.com/berniyh/audex

As this for me was the first time seriously working with C++/Qt/KDE code, I
would kindly like to ask you to give me some feedback on the commitsto find and
eliminate possible (and actual) bugs caused by the porting efforts.
And once you rate the code fine, I would like to ask for these commits to get
merged back into KDE's repository and prepare it for a KF5-based release.
I know that KDE normally uses reviewboard for reviews, but afaics, it does not
support merge request and would squash everything into a single commit, which is
definitely wrong in my opinion.
Therefore I propose to either do the review on GitHub or, if you prefer that, I
can send a patch series to the mailing list kernel-style (which would be over 40
Mails, though).
Or maybe there is a possibility with reviewboard I didn't see.

I've used the KF5-based Audex version for quite a few runs now and to me it
looks like everything is working, apart from the cover fetching.
It does not use libkcompactdisc anymore (thankfully Marco did most of the port
to solid some time ago), but still requires (yet unreleased) libkcddb.
Apart from bug-hunting, there are 2 things I would like to do (or would like to
have done) before a new release:
- Cover fetching: Google broke the API. There are patches for Bing, but they
require the user to obtain a dev key, thus imo are not a good solution. I'm not
sure if I can do this.
- Device selector: I would like to add a device selector so the user can choose
which device should be used. Iwill have a try at this and I think I can do it,
but not sure if I'llsucceed in a reasonable amount of time.

In addition to the review, I would like to propose to add Audex to
kde-multimedia and release it alongside of the other kde applications (like it's
done with kdenlive these days).
I've already talked to Marco about this and he would be ok with it as he does
not have much time to spend on Audex.
I can for sure try to help maintaining the code, but as I said above I don't
have much experience with C++ and therefore I'm not sure if I'm the right person
toact as a maintainer.
Right now, the kio-based Ripper and kaudiocreator aren't ported to KF5, so imo
KDE would benefit from adding Audex (and therefore a CD Ripper) to
kde-multimedia, deprecating audiocd-kio.
While audiocd-kio is a nice approach, I think a dedicated app works just better
for extracting audio CDs.

Please let me know what you think about this and if necessary what the
requirements for such a step would beand whereand if I can help with such a
transition.

Best Regards,
Bernd