Music Player - Needs

Olivier Churlaud olivier at churlaud.com
Wed Aug 5 11:06:18 BST 2015

Hi,

I read all the ideas that came up on this mailing list. I just want to
sum up what I found interesting and the question that it raised for me.
I don't explain or say that what I mean is true, but if I have this
questions, maybe some other have it..

*Local library - Amarok ?*
As Myriam  said, Amarok is not dead and is slowly beeing ported to KF5.
Amarok was one of the huge assets of KDE and is quite good. IMOH it
lacks the possibility to create playlists (but this might be corrected
by contributing to the project) and the support of network library. I
think that if we want to create a music player that plays the local
library, we'll be in conflict with an awesome software, which might need
a refresh but this can be done by people interested in Amarok. (And then
of course all the Clementine, Rhythmbox.... are already present and
quite good).

*Just playing a music file
*In my setup, I have my music library with Amarok, and when I want to
play a file (outside of my library) I use VLC (and when I was using
Ubuntu+Gnome I used Totem). To me, and like lot of people seem to think,
it make no sense to create a not-so-good clone of VLC. Therefore, the
idea of just creating a skin makes more sense. However, I find VLC quite
well integrated in KDE. I can control it with Kdeconnect, it's in the
miniature box, and the design is quite good in plasma5. However for a
regular use, it lacks the Artist/Album/Genre classification (I have 400G
of music)

*Playing streams (local and internet)
*I tried Tomahawk and I felt like being online, it wasn't responding so
well (or fast enough). It's cute but I didn't enjoy so well the
experience: the interface and functions seems too complex for a fast
start. Maybe the interesting point would be there: being able to play
local music and streams? However, as highlighted by several of you, it's
rather complex and deezer/spotify/apple music/... would be hard to connect.

Do you see something else?
Correct me where I'm wrong and where I missed part of the discussion.
And let's try to precise the project.

Cheers,
Olivier

--
Olivier CHURLAUD
Engineer Student at Ecole Centrale de Lyon
@: olivier at churlaud.com
tel: +49 (0)1575-2931348
in:  http://linkedin.com/in/olivierchurlaud
web: http://olivier.churlaud.com