Review for demo GUI

Shubham Chaudhary shubhamchaudhary92 at gmail.com
Tue May 21 17:37:35 BST 2013

On 5/21/13, Christian Esken <christian at esken.de> wrote:
> Am 17.05.2013 22:46, schrieb Shubham Chaudhary:
>> Martin Sandsmark thanks to your suggestion it can now auto-discover
>> any MPRIS compatible media player and with the help of this QMpris
>> library the code is much more generic now.
>>
>> I've been working on this library for more than few weeks now and I
>> still realise that a lot of work needs to be done on the it, but any
>> suggestion or improvement regarding the library or the structure of
>> the application before I start expanding the library will be really
>> helpful.
>>
>> Can somebody please take a look at the MPRIS library in this
>> application ( https://github.com/ishubhamch/qmpris ) and offer some
>> suggestions / improvements.

>>> Thanks a ton for your time.

>>> I couldn't agree more. My next priority task.

>>> I'll definitely look into it.
>
> Hello Shubham,
>
> there is one important thing you must account for in your design: Your
> whole DBUS communication must be asynchronous. I see you are using
> synchronous QDBusInterface.call() methods, which simply will not work
> reliable. You will end up having long-time-hangs/locking/deadlocking

Thanks a lot Christian for your valuable time,

I totally agree with you here, even I faced some problems that made me
realized the gravity of this mistake.
Actually Amarok takes some time before it actually sends the metadata
of next song, so whenever I pressed next or previous button, the
metadata and album art fields would go blank.
Clementine and several other player were working perfectly fine in
this context, so I discussed it with #amarok guys, finally we had to
make a patch in Amarok's MPRIS2 interface to support this fast
retrieval of metadata information like other players.
I hope that the patch gets committed, but what I realized from this
was that I can't rely on the synchronous methods. I'm planning to
modify the QMpris library accordingly.

> with the applications you are controlling. I learned that the hard way
> by being swamped with a massive amount of KMix bug reports.
>
>   Christian

Regards,
Shubham Chaudhary