GSOC suggestions

Martin Sandsmark martin.sandsmark at kde.org
Mon Feb 25 11:27:32 GMT 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 12:05:24PM +0100, todd rme wrote:
> Sorry, I should have been more clear.  I didn't mean copyright
> license, I meant patent license.  ffmpeg contains patent-encumbered
> formats which it is not licensed by the patent holders to implement
> support for.

You have the same issue with the for example the Linux kernel, with active
litigation going on (against RedHat). This is much more of a threat than
ffmpeg whose users, to the best of my knowledge, have never been the target
of any threats. The only patent "issue" is lots of FUD from RedHat.

There has also been threats and litigations from Microsoft against OpenOffice
and the Linux kernel, and against ClamAV from Barracuda, but this is
apparently not of any concern to anyone.

So until the distros stop shipping OpenOffice and the Linux kernel I view
this only as a FUD campaign from RedHat against free multimedia software.

--
Martin Sandsmark