KDE Multimedia Randa 2012 Sprint topic: Shipping and releasing applications

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Thu Sep 20 11:12:16 BST 2012

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Christian Esken <esken at kde.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I feel a need to discuss how we release KDE Multimedia applications [1].
>
> I have the impression (please comment if you feel different) that most
> KDE MM applications adhere to the KDE cycle only out of convention.

Well it might just be a convention but it is an important convention.
If you do not want to follow the KDE release cycle you have to move to
extragear.

The advantages of moving to extragear is everything you mentioned.

The advantage of being in KDE Multimedia is that it makes it easier
for translators (less release cycles to keep track of), the release
team makes the tarballs for you, and you can use the latest APIs from
kdelibs.