API proposal: Phonon BackendInfo

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Sun Sep 9 14:04:20 BST 2012

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Matěj Laitl <matej at laitl.cz> wrote:
>>     /** @returns \c true when this backend was provided by a platform plugin
>>     */
>>     bool isPlatformProvided() const;
>
> Perhaps this has sense to people who known how Phonon is implemented in Qt,
> but I don't understand what "provided by platform plugin" means.

Rationale being that if the backend is from the platform plugin
libphonon does not actually know where it is loaded from. So that is
in fact a convenience overload of path() (i.e. if the path is empty it
is always a platform provided backend).

>> #warning TODO: do we really want this here?
>>     /** @returns \c true when the backend uses PulseAudio */
>>     bool usesPulseAudio();
>
> While this seems very quirky, we really do want to show this in Amarok
> Diagnostics as it affects too many things.

This in formation is actually available via the PulseSupport class, so
the only rationale for having it here is to have it all in one place.
However at the same time it is entirely wrong to have it in a class
called BackendInfo because it does not actually reflect backend
support but whether PulseSupport is active. So from a puristic POV
this ought not be here.

HS