[KDE Usability] KMix UI orientation

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Thu May 17 22:05:34 BST 2012

El Dijous, 17 de maig de 2012, a les 14:50:59, Trever Fischer va escriure:
> I'm starting to have a look at a lot of the papercuts in kdemultimedia,
> trying to polish up all the little details that bother me.
>
> Here's my first question:
>
> Does KMix really need vertical slider orientation?

To be honest i think the vertical orientation is very intuitive.

I click on the system, get the vertical thing, and immediately think I can use
the mouse wheel to "scroll vertically" and change the volume, try it, and
bang! it works :-)

> How many people really feel that having two different layouts is a major
> feature?
>
> I've taken some screenshots of the two layouts, for reference:
>
> Tray popup with horizontal: http://i.imgur.com/QrOuO.png

Though to be honest this is amazingly ugly. I don't get that, probably related
to my pulseaudio-lessity.

> Tray popup with veritcal: http://i.imgur.com/vwY8Q.png
>
> Mixer dialog with horizontal: http://i.imgur.com/PTMLt.png
> Mixer dialog with vertical: http://i.imgur.com/8AuMS.png
>
> I propose removing the vertical layout entirely on the basis that it
> makes the text look so super squished in there and takes up a *ton* of
> space in the tray popup. With PulseAudio support, it is very common to
> have really long labels, as you can see in my screenshots.
>
> As far as I can tell, the only benefit a vertical layout provides to the
> user is it makes it look like one of those 1980s equalizer boxes.
>
> From a technical aspect, removing the vertical layout would clean up a
> lot of the code.

Is it really that much code? One would think it'd be a QVBoxLayout vs a
QHBoxLayout and that's it.

Cheers,
  Albert