GSoC 2012 is on! important next steps

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 08:41:38 GMT 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 10:38 AM, todd rme <toddrme2178 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/2/16 Trever Fischer <tdfischer at fedoraproject.org>:
>> Since GSOC 2012 is starting, I've started a wiki page for everyone:
>> http://community.kde.org/Multimedia/Google_Summer_of_Code_2012
>>
>> Note that this is in /Multimedia, so it isn't just a phonon thing. I'll be
>> adding one or two kdemm-wide tasks in the coming days once I think of them.

Another idea: a basic sound recording application.  It can record
sound from a microphone or audio channel, and should have an optional
dependency on pulseaudio to record from individual input or output
streams (such as being able to record sound from a particular
application).

This could be set up so it is done almost entirely in phonon, with
phonon handling copying the sound or stream to a file, and then just
create a very basic GUI wrapper around the phonon functions.  I don't
know how much of this is already in place.

I think a basic sound recording application is essential for a desktop
environment, but KDE as far as I am aware does not have one.

-Todd