GSoC 2012 is on! important next steps

Casian Andrei skeletk13 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 11:49:17 GMT 2012

2012/3/2 todd rme <toddrme2178 at gmail.com>

> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 11:13 AM, George Kiagiadakis
> <kiagiadakis.george at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 11:38 AM, todd rme <toddrme2178 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> 2. Gstreamer kio plugin.  Gstreamer can currently view network files
> >> seamlessly on gnome desktops uses a gvfs plugin.  There is no
> >> corresponding kio plugin to let KDE users do this, requiring the
> >> system to make a local copy before playing.  This project would create
> >> such a backend.
> >
> > I've thought of this in the past and it's a very cool idea indeed. I
> > could mentor it if there is need. The question is, what in KDE has
> > currently direct need of it? Could phonon-gstreamer benefit from such
> > a plugin?
>
> I am not certain, but I would think phonon-gstreamer could benefit.
> If changes are needed to phonon-gstreamer to make it work, that could
> be part of the project.

I think the KDE's Phonon platform plugin (from kde-runtime/phonon) can make
use of kio streams and allow Phonon applications to play things accessed
via kio plugins. If phonon-gstreamer is used, it could benefit indirectly
from such a gstreamer kio plugin (gvfs -> gstreamer kio plugin -> kio ->
phonon platform plugin -> phonon-gstreamer -> play).

I guess phonon-vlc would benefit indirectly in this way, too.

In the case of phonon-gstreamer, the chain [gstreamer gvfs plugin ->
phonon-gstreamer -> play] is shorter (this may already be possible, Trever
knows). If this can't happen right now, I think the necessary work would be
quite separate from the proposed gstreamer kio plugin.

As a sidenote, I'm getting confused about all these plugins everywhere
(gst, kio, phonon backend, phonon platform plugin), but they certainly make
magic happen.