aboutToFinish() emitted too early

Georg Rudoy 0xd34df00d at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 11:49:32 BST 2012

Hi!

I'm using phonon-4.6.0, phonon-kde-4.8.3 and phonon-gstreamer-4.6.0 on
Gentoo amd64 without pulseaudio, and I have the following problem with
playing even local files.

The MediaObject::aboutToFinish() signal is emitted way too early —
always 20 seconds before the playback of the current source finishes.
As the result, changes to the playback mode or queue by the user in
those 20 seconds aren't reflected, since the source is already queued.
Moreover, SeekSlider goes crazy and displays played time from the
current source, but the remaining time is calculated according to the
next source. Since that may matter, I set transitionTime to 0 as well.

What's the best way to fix this? I'd like to maintain the gapless
playback ability, so seems like using prefinishMark with some low
value isn't an option.

While I understand that aboutToFinish() isn't guaranteed to be emitted
at some exact point in time, it seems reasonable to expect it to be
emitted about transitionTime + some small epsilon before the current
source actually finishes.

Thanks in advance!

--
  Georg Rudoy