phonon-vlc: how to autoconnect to JACK?

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Wed Jan 18 17:05:48 GMT 2012

I have configured VLC to use JACK, and also enabled the "automatically
connect to writable clients" option in the advanced preferences in the
VLC config dialog.   It works without issues.

However, when enabling the VLC phonon backend in System Settings, VLC
does *not* automatically connect to JACK.  It does use JACK, but it does
not connect to it.  As a result, there's no sound at all.

How do I make VLC automatically connect when using through phonon-vlc?