Phonon - Qt or KDE?

Trever Fischer tdfischer at fedoraproject.org
Thu Nov 10 15:04:29 GMT 2011

On Wed, November 9, 2011 7:56 am, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Sunday, November 6, 2011 21:20:33 Trever Fischer wrote:
>
>> +1 for qt-project. Much like Amarok has been the guinea pig for a lot
>> of KDE
>
>> be the guinea pig for the upcoming Qt5 and KDE Frameworks hooplah.
>
> how will moving to qt-project help with KDE Frameworks?
I was under the impression that frameworks and Qt were going to be very
close in the future with heavy collaboration. Possibly even massive merge
requests to trim out fat like KUrl, KJS, KDEWebkit, KIcon, or pretty much
most of kdeui.

>> A view I could see some developers taking on this would be a train of
>> thought along the lines of this:
>>
>> * Phonon is some KDE thing, innit?
>> * Oh, its Qt now?
>> * Wait, there's other awesome Qt libraries that KDE made?
>> * omgwtfbbq this is awesome
>>

> being included in Qt or being near Qt isn't enough for this. otherwise it
>  would've happened starting 3 years ago when Phonon entered Qt. reality
> is that is requires a trail of crumbs for people to follow from Library A
> to the rest of KDE's libraries. it also requires the rest of KDE's
> libraries being designed similar to how Phonon is in terms of
> compartmentalization: Phonon is
> easy to pick and use on its own without picking up lots of other unwanted
> libraries (ok, some exceptions there perhaps?) while we're only
> attempting that at a grand scale with Frameworks 5. this was really the
> big blocker and we're working on solving it now.
>
> in short, moving Phonon to qt-projects will not help this at all since it
>  doesn't satisfy the bread-crumbs-to-follow-back-to-KDE requirement.
I'm not convinced in either direction. Haven't seen any evidence for
either case, nor have I seen evidence that it'll never happen.

> what we need is a way to make it easy to notice and find KDE libraries
> (and
> Phonon, in case one doesn't include it in that category :) and perhaps
> that means finding a way to have our libraries and resources show up on
> qt-project. how that's done should probably be done for all of our
> libraries.
>
> it certainly doesn't happen by each project trying to figure out how to
> do it on their own.
You're right. Thats why this thread is continuing. If someone else thinks
of moving to qt-projects, we can figure out any issues that might need
addressed and act on them in a systemic fashion.

> we tried that with the git migration and that was a disaster until we
> started actually doing coordinated, planned implementations that got us to
> the actual goals rather than trying random things.
>
> --
> Aaron J. Seigo
> humru othro a kohnu se GPG Fingerprint: 8B8B 2209 0C6F 7C47 B1EA  EE75 D6B7
> 2EB1 A7F1 DB43

Trever Fischer (tdfischer)
Fedora Ambassador, KDE Hacker
http://wm161.net