GSoC 2011 Idea

Trever Fischer tdfischer at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 31 13:57:00 BST 2011

On Wednesday, March 30, 2011 08:22:34 PM Pavel Punegov wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> My name is Pavel, I am a student in Russia and I would like to implement an
> idea of Phonon encoding during the GSoC. I have some experience in C++ and
> Qt, and want to learn multimedia libs such as libvlc and GStreamer.
Howdy.

> I think this is an interesting project and it's very necessary for Phonon
> because encoding feature makes Phonon more attractive for Qt users.
>
> I think I should make an interface for encoding and its implementations on
> each backend (i think it's only vlc and gstreamer). It will be a new
> MediaNode which provide user with encoding capabilities and some basic
> encoding settings. I think it should give a list of possible formats and
> conversions of stream so user could chose required one. Then stream
> returns to user as QIODevice or QFile.
Any idea how you might implement this? A quick UML diagram or even example API
consumer code would be great.

> Have you any ideas? I think it's necessary to discuss it.
Returning the output to a user as a QFile doesn't make much sense imho, since
you're reading data out of the pipeline, which isn't a file at all. Other than
that, we'd like to see some idea of how it might get implemented.

Encoding is a brilliant idea and sorely needed for wider acceptance of the
video capture APIs. As of now, you can capture video from a webcam, but unless
you want to write your own encoding system, saving the video as a raw yuv
stream is messy.