GSoC 2011 Idea

Pavel Punegov pavelpngv at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 01:22:34 BST 2011

Hello everyone!

My name is Pavel, I am a student in Russia and I would like to implement an
idea of Phonon encoding during the GSoC. I have some experience in C++ and Qt,
and want to learn multimedia libs such as libvlc and GStreamer.

I think this is an interesting project and it's very necessary for Phonon
because encoding feature makes Phonon more attractive for Qt users.

I think I should make an interface for encoding and its implementations on
each backend (i think it's only vlc and gstreamer). It will be a new MediaNode
which provide user with encoding capabilities and some basic encoding
settings. I think it should give a list of possible formats and conversions of
stream so user could chose required one. Then stream returns to user as
QIODevice or QFile.

Have you any ideas? I think it's necessary to discuss it.

Best regards, Pavel