Phonon VLC and the destruction of music

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Mon Jun 6 10:32:20 BST 2011

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 9:11 PM, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Ben Cooksley at 06/06/11 04:36 did gyre and gimble:

>>> Your subject doesn't match the message. What's going on?
>>
>> With the Phonon VLC backend, any application that uses Phonon
>> stutters. This renders the music unlistenable. The application doesn't
>> matter. When it does output sound though it sounds fine. It is likely
>> some form of a buffering issue. There is also a large delay in between
>> pressing stop and it actually stopping.
>>
>> With the Phonon Xine backend, Amarok no longer advances between tracks
>> - forcing me to switch backend / application. For now, i'm using Juk
>> with Xine - which works perfectly.
>

> Please try my VLC patches here (the top four commits):
>
> http://colin.guthr.ie/git/vlc/log

Unfortunately I can't build that - as my system has too old
dependencies apparently for the version of VLC available on your
branch. In libraries such as XCB (I have 1.5 - they want 1.6). The
patches didn't apply cleanly to the source I have (from vlc 1.1 -
which does build ok) unfortunately either.

[Insert curses about graphics stuff always having to be bleeding edge
- i'm only on openSUSE 11.3 which isn't even 9 months old yet]

Regards,
Ben