Phonon VLC and the destruction of music

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Mon Jun 6 10:09:58 BST 2011

Hi Ben,

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 04:36, Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Ian Monroe <ian at monroe.nu> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 18:40, Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Currently I experience severe distortion of my music with a series of
>>> applications (such as Amarok and Juk). I was forced to cease use of
>>> Xine as Amarok changed their internal behaviour - breaking it in the
>>> process.

That I doubt, as there were no commits in the engine part.

>>>Tracks no longer advance forward properly. This didn't happen
>>> a while ago - can someone please investigate and fix this? I use
>>> Pulseaudio (version 0.9.21) in case it matters.
>>
>> Your subject doesn't match the message. What's going on?
>
> With the Phonon VLC backend, any application that uses Phonon
> stutters. This renders the music unlistenable. The application doesn't
> matter. When it does output sound though it sounds fine. It is likely
> some form of a buffering issue. There is also a large delay in between
> pressing stop and it actually stopping.
>
> With the Phonon Xine backend, Amarok no longer advances between tracks
> - forcing me to switch backend / application. For now, i'm using Juk
> with Xine - which works perfectly.

Well, xine is deprecated, there was even an official message about
this on this list this week (after a previous decision taken in
January that was not well enough communicated I fear). You really
should consider either the gstreamer or the vlc backend for your
installation. Upstream Xine is too buggy and unmaintained to actually
being able to fix the backend issues anymore.

Regards, Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org