Phonon VLC and the destruction of music

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Mon Jun 6 03:36:30 BST 2011

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Ian Monroe <ian at monroe.nu> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 18:40, Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Currently I experience severe distortion of my music with a series of
>> applications (such as Amarok and Juk). I was forced to cease use of
>> Xine as Amarok changed their internal behaviour - breaking it in the
>> process. Tracks no longer advance forward properly. This didn't happen
>> a while ago - can someone please investigate and fix this? I use
>> Pulseaudio (version 0.9.21) in case it matters.
>
> Your subject doesn't match the message. What's going on?

With the Phonon VLC backend, any application that uses Phonon
stutters. This renders the music unlistenable. The application doesn't
matter. When it does output sound though it sounds fine. It is likely
some form of a buffering issue. There is also a large delay in between
pressing stop and it actually stopping.

With the Phonon Xine backend, Amarok no longer advances between tracks
- forcing me to switch backend / application. For now, i'm using Juk
with Xine - which works perfectly.

> Ian

Regards,
Ben