Phonon problems in Debian

Debian debian at dct.mine.nu
Sat Jan 15 14:01:15 GMT 2011

Hi Allan,

i'm be back now for 2 days.

Am 10.01.2011 12:07, schrieb Allan Sandfeld Jensen:
> p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }
>
> > So everything depends on the alsa.conf?
>

> Well, it should by default, but you an also choose different outputs
> in the Phonon configuration. There is some interaction there between
> Solid (hardware-detection) and Phonon backends there. I am not
> entirely sure how that works in details though.

The problem is that nobody is really sure how it works. :-)
That's the reason why i wrote to the KDE-team hopefully. ;-)

This is my main question and i hope someone can explain this.
I will multiply my knowledge to the community then.

> > > If you go into System Settings -> Multimedia -> Phonon, you can select
>
> > > the audio output to use and test the choices available.
>

> > Of course i tried this.
>
> > Sometimes there are some options grayed out (the one that would be
>
> > correct)?
>

> > And normally none of the outputs are working when i click on test.
>
> > But when i use aplay with the right options i can get an sound output.
>
> > That's what i cannot understand?
>

> Interesting. Have you tried different Phonon backends?

What do you mean with phonon backend - the outputs that you can choose
in the setup?
I always tried all the possible outputs - but it never makes a
difference to get it working.

In the last week i worked on the PC with the onboard sound with a CM6501
(USB-)Chip.
(Refer to PC2 from http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=609441)
Here you can choose between "PNP Audio Device (USB Audio)" and "Jack
Audio Connection Kit".
Only the PNP Audio Device is working.
With this device i have the KDE system sound and i have sound with VLC,
Dragon Player and Amarok.
Kaffeine and Flash-sound is not working?

I can't understand this.
It is the right standard device but not all applications are working.
This are the problems you can read often in the forums.
The sound only works for some applications.
Why?

> Btw. the greyed out options is as far as I know options that Solid has
> determined are no longer present. I have sometimes seen this after
> upgrading the linus kernel, leading to a new set of Solid devices,
> leaving the old ones no longer recognized as active.

O.K.
When i look at my PC1 i can see the fully working ENS1371 and the
deactivated onboard sound greyed out.
So the chipset can be seen but not be used.

> `Allan
>

> Regards
>
> Allan

Best regards