KGoldrunner still silenced in KDE 4.6

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 12:46:23 BST 2011

On Tuesday 26 April 2011 8:24:36 pm George Kiagiadakis wrote:
> 2011/4/19 Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com>:
> ERROR: Pipeline doesn't want to pause.
> ERROR: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstAlsaSink:alsasink0:
> Could not open audio device for playback.
> Additional debug info:
> gstalsasink.c(694): gst_alsasink_open ():
> /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstAlsaSink:alsasink0:
> Playback open error on device 'default': Permission denied
>
> This means that your kde development user has no access to the sound
> device. On most distributions, to access sound devices you need to be
> in a special group called "audio". This can be confirmed with:

Thanks, George.  I did have a look at that earlier, but on my system
the "audio" entry in /etc/group has no members, not even me ("ianw").
I think there must be some other way to access sound devices (setgid?).
Anyway, I have now reverted all my testing to "ianw" and sound is
played.  I still have the problem that it is not played well in Phonon.

Thanks again, Ian W.