KGoldrunner still silenced in KDE 4.6

George Kiagiadakis kiagiadakis.george at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 11:24:36 BST 2011

2011/4/19 Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com>:
> The gstreamer installation seems OK.  It is v0.10.24, which it appears
> is only four minor points behind the latest GStreamer release.
>
> The gst-launch command and another utility I found, gst123, both play
> my sound-files very well in my usual login (ianw), but not when I switch
> to my development user (kde-dev).  I tried using sux rather than su
> to do the user-switch, but the results were no better, refer to
>    http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Run/Shell
>
> The problem seems to be, both for gst-launch and gst123, that
> "alsasink" is not found in the kde-dev environment (see attached
> error messages).

There is your problem, right there!

Pasting from the log that you sent:

ERROR: Pipeline doesn't want to pause.
ERROR: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstAlsaSink:alsasink0:
Could not open audio device for playback.
Additional debug info:
gstalsasink.c(694): gst_alsasink_open ():
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstAlsaSink:alsasink0:
Playback open error on device 'default': Permission denied

This means that your kde development user has no access to the sound
device. On most distributions, to access sound devices you need to be
in a special group called "audio". This can be confirmed with:

% ls -l /dev/snd
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root       80 Apr  3 19:55 by-path/
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  8 Apr  3 19:55 controlC0
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 11 Apr  3 19:55 controlC1
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  7 Apr  3 19:55 hwC0D0
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 10 Apr  3 19:55 hwC1D0
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  6 Apr  3 19:55 pcmC0D0c
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  5 Apr 26 12:15 pcmC0D0p
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  4 Apr  3 19:55 pcmC0D1c
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  3 Apr  3 19:55 pcmC0D1p
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  2 Apr  3 19:55 pcmC0D2c
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  9 Apr 20 11:27 pcmC1D3p
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  1 Apr 20 12:23 seq
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 33 Apr 20 12:23 timer

So, add your kde development user to that group and see if that fixes
your problem.

Best regards,
George