Xine-backend doesn't work with PulseAudio

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Mon May 24 22:52:57 BST 2010

On 05/25/2010 12:08 AM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Nikos Chantziaras at 24/05/10 19:37 did gyre and gimble:
>> On 05/24/2010 05:25 PM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>>> 'Twas brillig, and Nikos Chantziaras at 22/05/10 14:31 did gyre and gimble:
>>>
>>> I believe what you see in System Settings *is* the device as dictated by
>>> PulseAudio (the user is not generally exposed to PulseAudio but it does
>>> work and powers the device listings and preferences etc).
>>
>> The thing is, if I login to KDE with a newly created user, it says
>> "PulseAudio".  If I login with my regular user, it only lists the ALSA
>> device :-/  I suppose that means that the new user uses PA directly,
>> while my regular user uses PA only through ALSA, not directly.
>
> If it just says only "PulseAudio" with no other entries, this is a
> "degraded" mode of PulseAudio support. Essentially this means that the
> script "start-pulseaudio-kde" was not run at startup for some reason.
>
> If your user sees a real alsa device, then your user has disabled
> PulseAudio, but as I said above, I suspect the device name that you have
> given *IS* coming from pulseaudio and is *NOT* and alsa device.
>
> Please read and digest the information I wrote up recently here if you
> want to understand how things are working:
>
> http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/KDE

Thanks for the information.  The output of:

   pacmd list-sinks | grep device.description

is what I see in the Phonon settings, so I guess it works as it should.

The reason the new user sees something else might have something to do
with PA taking too long to shutdown once I logout from KDE, and when
logging back in with the other user, the PA daemon is still running but
with the permissions of the previous user, and I guess this messes
things up.

The patches for Phonon-Xine you mentioned are also working fine.